KMGC

Welcome to the official forum of the Kent Minigolf Club! Our mission is simple.... to promote minigolf in the South East and ensure as many people as possible get involved in this fun game!

You are not connected. Please login or register

2014 minigolfing resolutions??

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:07 pm

The Natural

Just wondered if anyone else had any New Year reolutions?

Sadly I have three;

1. obtain and retain a category 2 playing status
2. gain a first top 10 competition finish
3. replace and improve, if possible, my existing profile picture (please Marion)

see you all in the New Year!

2 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:16 pm

AlienUK

1. Cat 2 finish, ready for cat 1 in 2015!
2. New photo too
3. Beating HIOK in a tournament (we can all dream)

3 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:28 pm

The Natural

that 3rd one is a toughie  Very Happy 

4 2014 minigolfing resolultions?? on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:06 pm

tiger

it might be bit late but we are still in january so here are my minigolf resolutions

1 to improve ony drop shot ratio in tournaments

2 obtain catergory 1 status and stay there

3 achieve regular top 10 finishes

4 and win at least 1 tournament

my minigolf ambition/dream altogether is to surpass tim davies as britains greatest ever minigolfer well thats another story a big mountain to climb to overtake tim but iam up for the challenge bring it on GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

5 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:33 am

Mr X

Tiger, Michael has far surpassed the achievements of Aceman already so if you want to get past Tim, good luck but you'll still only be Britain's best ever number 2.
Despite Aceman's fine record, If they had played Michael would have won, end of.

http://www.whufc.com/page/Home

6 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:46 am

DT

Admin
Tiger, Andy's right, I don't understand why you don't set your goals higher and try to beat Michael if you must chose to beat someone else. Personally I think you need to focus on playing better, not beating old school legends

I think it's great you have a strong ambition, but there a few things you have to focus on this year to stand a chance of getting close to your dream.

1. ditch all the needless balls you have and have 10 MAXIMIUM
2. find one putter you like, get used to using the same one all the time and don't try and 'modify' it
3. LISTEN TO YOUR CLUB MATES - all of whom have offered advice and quite frankly are better players than you are currently, but you don't take their advice, even when they are doing better than you
4. Practice - but with the same ball at the hole each time, not constantly rethinking ball choice and alternative lines - find one that works and stick to it

I have taken advice this last year from my team mates and my game is getting better, so my goal for 2014 is to beat my last score in that tournament. By doing that I will improve my position in the rankings, not by trying to beat someone else, just bettering my own play!

And just before I remove my 'trainers' hat:-

goals or objectives must be SMART

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Timed

We all want to see you improve Tiger, but at the moment the only person stopping you do that is yourself. Good luck.

7 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:55 am

Mr X

Words of wisdom, we all want to see KMGC players do well.

I've done fairly well over the years but I don't think I'm big enough to not seek a bit of advice here & there from others, most are very willing to help - as I am if asked. FB's videos of Star City etc are great examples of how good help can be given & I have watched the Star City one a couple of times & taken note of quite a few things.
When I used to practice at the late lamented Clambers, Tim was happy to show me (and anyone else) all the lines & balls he used, then when he beat me it's because he was better in that instance. (far more often than not)

8 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:05 pm

AlienUK

I've learnt over the last year:

(1) There is no substitute for experience: listen to the old (in experience) pros
(2) Practice what you are told. And practice some more
(3) Experiment, everyone's style is slightly different, but remember (1)
(4) Minigolf balls are like Quality Street - you always want another one!

9 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:15 pm

The Natural

[quote="AlienUK"]I've learnt over the last year:

(1) There is no substitute for experience: listen to the old (in experience) pros
(2) Practice what you are told.  And practice some more
(3) Experiment, everyone's style is slightly different, but remember (1)
(4) Minigolf balls are like Quality Street - you always want another one![/quote]

or 2 or 3 or 18 or ?????? Crying or Very sad

10 minigolfing resolutions?? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:42 pm

tiger

Hi guys good points there I have found. A putter. I'm going to stick. With and I have a nice selection of 63 balls. To work. With and the point about consistency using same lines,balls. Etc on same holes is something. I'm looking. To improve. And I think. That Michael. Is only half way there to matching tim although. In times day if Michael. Was around. Tim would. Have been tamed. Easily but to be fair. To tim he will always. Be the grandfather. Of minigolf. In England. No matter. What Michael. Achieves. Tim put minigolf. In England. On the map and if I beat what he achieved. I then know. I will have made it in minigolf

11 minigolfing resolutions?? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:45 pm

tiger

But not to take anything. Away from. Michael. He is going. To be a legend. In his own. Name a true minigolf. Great. For. All. To look up too

12 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:30 pm

The Gringo

DT wrote:Tiger, Andy's right, I don't understand why you don't set your goals higher and try to beat Michael if you must chose to beat someone else. Personally I think you need to focus on playing better, not beating old school legends

I think it's great you have a strong ambition, but there a few things you have to focus on this year to stand a chance of getting close to your dream.

1. ditch all the needless balls you have and have 10 MAXIMIUM
2. find one putter you like, get used to using the same one all the time and don't try and 'modify' it
3. LISTEN TO YOUR CLUB MATES - all of whom have offered advice and quite frankly are better players than you are currently, but you don't take their advice, even when they are doing better than you
4. Practice - but with the same ball at the hole each time, not constantly rethinking ball choice and alternative lines - find one that works and stick to it

I have taken advice this last year from my team mates and my game is getting better, so my goal for 2014 is to beat my last score in that tournament. By doing that I will improve my position in the rankings, not by trying to beat someone else, just bettering my own play!

And just before I remove my 'trainers' hat:-

goals or objectives must be SMART

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Timed

We all want to see you improve Tiger, but at the moment the only person stopping you do that is yourself. Good luck.

I would completely agree with all that DT has said above....
Experimenting with balls and different lines are fine but good practice means looking for consistance in both stroke and line.

13 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:55 am

Sheila_Knowledge

I know I'm late to this but here are my three.

1) To finally get a score below 36 in a competition (four of my last five rounds have been par).
2) Just enjoy the privilege it is to have found something that I really enjoy.
3) To take a few more risks on the course, chase the aces.
3a) To watch and learn from everyone I play with. The Worlds when I played with Adam and Sean on day one was an incredible experience and I was seeing shot that I didn't think possible. I have also been lucky enough to be paired with Michael twice (including my debut) and it is only then you realise that no matter how good you think you are, you are in the presence of pure class, putting and as a person. After my round two at Splash Point, Michael spent time chatting with me and reckoned I could be pretty good, which meant a lot from someone who at that time was the current world champion!!!
3b) To see a few new names challenging the big three. There are a group of us who have taken up the sport in the last 18 months and we are pretty evenly matched. Most importantly, I enjoy meeting up with you guys. Every time.
3c) To limit that the number of balls I have to the amount I currently own, which is seventeen. Overegging the pudding will not help me. Practice will.

14 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 am

The Natural

Sheila_Knowledge wrote:I know I'm late to this but here are my three.

1) To finally get a score below 36 in a competition (four of my last five rounds have been par).
3a) To watch and learn from everyone I play with. The Worlds when I played with Adam and Sean on day one was an incredible experience and I was seeing shot that I didn't think possible. I have also been lucky enough to be paired with Michael twice (including my debut) and it is only then you realise that no matter how good you think you are, you are in the presence of pure class, putting and as a person. After my round two at Splash Point, Michael spent time chatting with me and reckoned I could be pretty good, which meant a lot from someone who at that time was the current world champion!!!
3b) To see a few new names challenging the big three. There are a group of us who have taken up the sport in the last 18 months and we are pretty evenly matched. Most importantly, I enjoy meeting up with you guys. Every time.
3c) To limit that the number of balls I have to the amount I currently own, which is seventeen. Overegging the pudding will not help me. Practice will.
3d) To get a new putter

I have edited your post, I believe you missed out your most important resolution  Twisted Evil

15 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:49 am

The Force

Tiger should take note...

This looks like a very sensible set of targets....I'm now expecting great things! Smile 

16 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:22 am

Mr X

The Natural wrote:

3d) To get a new putter

I have edited your post, I believe you missed out your most important resolution  Twisted Evil
I think it's a tad unfortunate that the resolution to get a new putter is number 3d Natural! A club that could be very good, but sadly isn't. Matty likes his though.

Last edited by Mr X on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

17 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:19 pm

Sheila_Knowledge

Stay tuned, Mr Wood.

Thank you, Marc. I just love playing. I love the fact that come Sunday, I'm going to be down Splash Point just trying to refine a few things before the Masters.

18 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:52 pm

The Natural

Mr X wrote:
The Natural wrote:

3d) To get a new putter

I think it's a tad unfortunate that the resolution to get a new putter is number 3d Natural! A club that could be very good, but sadly isn't. Matty likes his though.

Apologies Mr X, only just got it  Embarassed 

19 Re: 2014 minigolfing resolutions?? on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:09 pm

Mr X

The Natural wrote:
Mr X wrote:
The Natural wrote:

3d) To get a new putter

Apologies Mr X, only just got it  Embarassed 
 lol! 

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum